Yesterday, we had "one of those mornings" at home. It started with something that happened because of me and my scatterbrained ways. Tyler and I have been very faithful about eating oatmeal every morning before we go to school, in an attempt to be more healthy. I normally run into the kitchen, turn on a small pot of water to boil, and then go and do a few more things to get ready before coming back to put the oatmeal in. I followed my usual routine yesterday morning, and after a couple minutes, Tyler smelt something funny, so he went into the kitchen. I had turned the wrong burner on, so the water was nowhere near even being warm. That was not the problem, though. My nice, beautiful wooden holder for my knife set, which I really love, was sitting very close to the burner which was on. One side of it was no longer beautiful wood, but rather it was completely black. I did not realize it until I heard Tyler's "Oh no!" We quickly altered the situation, and still had some good oatmeal, but I will forever have a knife holder that is black on one side.
A few minutes later, I heard Tyler say, "Oh no!" again, and ran into our bedroom to see what the problem was. I saw him sitting on the bed, staring with dismay at his school shoes, which he had just put on. One of them had a very large hole in it, making it impossible to wear. Poor guy! Thankfully he did have some other shoes that he could put on. While he was doing that, I was running around the house lighting candles and opening windows, because the maintenance man was scheduled to come to our apartment during the day to repair something, and the smell that my burnt knife holder left was not exactly the most pleasant.
We finally got out of the house, a little dissapointed at the 50 degree drop in temperature since the day before. We also were almost getting blown away by the wonderful South Dakota wind that runs wild out here. As Tyler opened the door for me to get into the car I heard him say "Oh no!" for the third time that morning. It was then that I noticed that there was no longer a side mirror on my side of the car. It was rather laying several feet away, pretty beat up. He picked it up and placed it in the car. As we began to drive away, I got a full picture in my mind of our car without the mirror and thought of how it is looking more and more like a car that the Beverly Hillbilly's would be driving, and I just had to start laughing!
Tyler, of course, looked at me, wondering what I thought was so funny. I just had to tell him, "You just had a Johnson morning, even though you are a Brock". That's what seems to happen when you marry a Johnson...just ask my sister-in-law and she will say the same thing! As we talked about everything, Tyler was finally able to laugh as well. There were several things that we could be thankful for. It was good that we did not have a towel or anything else very flammable on the stove to catch fire. It was also a blessing that Tyler has several other pairs of shoes that he can wear. We also were very thankful that we have a car that still runs, no matter how it may look. We would rather be able to continue saving money until we can buy a nice, new car without being in debt for it.
We have been praying for patience, and I guess yesterday morning was a tool from the Lord to help teach us how to have patience, even when we would rather scream. Praise the Lord He is wonderful, even as He teaches us lessons!!
To Elevate the Soul
8 years ago
How funny Mare! We all have those days and God is always there teaching us a lesson. :)
ReplyDeleteWow Mare, I laughed soooo hard at this! I have Johnson mornings on a regular basis hahahaha!!!!! (then again, I am a Johnson). I will pray for you guys to be able to save up lots of money so you can buy a new car soon. Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteSteph