Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sweet or Bitter Water

   There is a quote that I kept up in front of me during the two years that I was a receptionist for Fairhaven Baptist Church. I read it many, many times a day! I recently came across it again while reading a book by Amy Carmichael, and I wanted to share it because of the impact that it has had on me...

"For a cup brimful of sweet water cannot spill even one drop of bitter water, however suddenly jolted."

    When working with people, whether it be at a job, or in a ministry, there will come times when you are "jolted".  This jolting will come in many different ways, depending on the circumstances you are in, and the type of people you are working with.  I have come to realize that if I truly have the sweet spirit that the Lord wants me to have, and am fully committed to Him, nothing bitter will ever come from my mouth or actions, no matter what someone else may do to me.  
     I am reading a book right now on how to have a victorious Christian life, written by an unknown author.  He tells the story of a Buddhist young man, who told a missionary, "I want to believe in Christ, but I have never seen Him in those who profess Him."  What a sad statement!  In every situation we face, we should stop before we do or say anything and ask ourselves, "Will  Christ shine forth through my response?"

3 comments:

  1. THIS IS BEAUTIFUL MARY.

    LOVE,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mare,

    After I read this it brought to mind a quote that my pastor used in a sermon a few months ago. It says: "“I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.” ~ Gandhi
    When I heard that it hit me like a brick. Great blog post.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete